The Changi Museum was relocated to its new home on 15 February 2001 and was officially opened by our Trade and Industry Minister BG George Yeo. This date was also chosen to coincide with the 59th Anniversary of the fall of Singapore to the Japanese in 1942. The new Changi Museum replaces the Old Changi Prison Chapel and Museum (built in 1988) that was relocated to its current site to make way for the expansion of Changi Prison.
In honouring the spirit and commitment of those who rose from the depths of adversity, the Museum inspires future generations to come and deepen their appreciation of the heroic and inspirational stories that unfolded in Changi during the war. The Changi Museum is dedicated to all those who lived and died in Singapore, in particular the Changi area, during the dark years of World War II.
Through documentation of significant events of the Japanese Occupation, the Museum also serves as an important educational institution and resource centre. As for the Prisoners-of-War (POWs) and their families, it is a site that allows for closure of the many emotional scars inflicted by the war years.